Sunday, October 4, 2009

Track and Back UP Your Data

As internet and network marketers, so much of what we do is related to establishing our 'virtual real estate'. Our data tracking needs, regardless of our size and time in business, are no less critical than those of the Fortune 500 companies.

However, in order to emulate the results of the big boys, we independent and / or small business concerns need to keep a close watch on our data (ad campaigns, referrals, keywords, marketing results, etc). As we drive our SEO campaigns, we must be able to track what does and does not work in any given situation.

With the plethora of free analytical tools that are available to us, we can compete with anyone. Google Analytics is a good place to start. With a little effort, we can all improve our knowledge and skills, and most importantly, our conversion rates that grow our businesses.

As we go though our daily activities, we never think the inconceivable will happen to us, and then it does.

Oh GREAT! Windows crashed. OH NO, it can't be, System Restore is unable to recover my data. Oh man, I have to reformat. Please tell me I haven't lost everything! OH GREAT! The owner just ran out of talent. It is a good thing I backed up my files on an external hard-drive.OH NO, my external hard-drive is corrupted.

(This really happened to a well known and very successful internet marketer with over 50,000 addresses in his mailing list)

The importance of backing up our critical and personal data cannot be over emphasized.

Something similar happened to me, although my loss was not business related. I love music and have a large, ever growing mp3 collection on my computer. In order to protect those files, I bought an external hard-drive for my computer and another for my wife's computer.

And then it happened.

Windows XP crashed and I was unable to restore my files via System Restore. Rather than reloading the very popular Windows XP, I decided to go back with Windows Vista Business. Of course, I was comfortable with the knowledge that my personal and music files were backed up on my external hard-drive.

And then it happened.

I made the mistake of backing up my Windows Vista Business files onto my external hard-drive before uploading 72 plus gigs of MP3's. The new operating system reformatted the external hard-drive and I really lost all of my data. I was fortunate that 44 gigs of my music was on my wife's external hard-drive. Through a lot of time and effort, as well as the graciousness of both Amazon and E-Music, I was able to recover about 99% of my music files.

The importance of backing up our critical and personal data cannot be over emphasized.

Sometimes, we get so busy that we don't take those necessary steps to properly protect ourselves and our important data. A few days ago, I was working on my site.

And then it happened.

The owner ran out of talent and accidentally deleted an entire blog post. I was editing keywords and managed to delete the post rather than just the keywords. Fortunately, I was able to recover the post..

The importance of backing up our critical and personal data cannot be over emphasized.

The Windows operating system has excellent back up and restore tools built into their program, but we need more to safeguard our sensitive files and lists..You may consider an on-line data storage facility and there are many from which to choose. Personally, I still believe in using an external hard drive.

Do your own research and decide what is best for you. Make it a habit to back up anytime that you make changes to your site or write a new article.

The importance of backing up our critical and personal data cannot be over emphasized.

To your continued and abundant success,

L D Johnson

(Larry Johnson}

Independent Business Owner

Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance.

~ John Petit~Senn

http://larryjohnson2010.com/blog/

Independent Business Owner, Marketer, Student of Life

Southerner, heavy drawl, native Georgian, and I have been known to bark at cars as well as Georgia Tech fans.

Blessed with fantastic family and great friends. Married 28 years, living in paradise.

In addition to good times with family and friends, I enjoy music, classic cars, street rods, beautiful beaches and a good game of chess. It doesn't get too much better than a circle of friends and family gathered around a roaring fire, some good tunes and plenty of slow cooked meat. I'm at home with pretty much any music with the exceptions of Disco and Rap, but lean towards Rock'n Roll, Blues and Jazz.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=L_D_Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment